• DIY Alterations Tutorial: Slimming + shortening blazer jacket sleeves with lining

I haven’t been posting as much due to work and prepping for exam cramming, but follow me on Twitter for some fitting room photos and more. I’ve fallen very behind on emails and comments but will try to respond to any questions soon. Thank you for your patience!

On to today’s post ~ I used to sew and gave up due to lack of patience and skill, but felt inspired to dust off my sewing machine again. Here’s a little something that I worked on recently:

Which sleeve looks more flattering?

sleeve

H&M; Blazer.  Left sleeve (on me) slimmed & shortened, right sleeve unaltered.

When I initially tried on this blazer, I almost left it behind. I loved the light gray material and slim torso, but did not love the lack of lapels, the much shorter back, and the unsightly wide and bunchy sleeves. My other gray cascade jacket had the same sleeve issue, but it was unexpectedly sold before I even considered alterations. My current tailor charges $25 for shortening sleeves, and $20 for slimming (hopefully less for both done together).
    sleeve1
    I’ve done simpler alterations in the past such as slimming shirts and taking in the waist on a skirt. Never had I worked on a blazer, and especially not one with lining. I gingerly took apart one sleeve and tried to learn by retracing the steps of how it was assembled. As you can see in the above pics, such an alteration can make a tremendous difference in the overall silhouette of a garment.
    sleeve2
    I think I got the hang of it after one sleeve, and took step-by-step photos the second time around. Warning: Please note that I am an amateur and I’m sure there are better and more efficient ways to do this. The remainder of this post is picture-heavy and sleeve-focused so continue scrolling at your own risk of dozing off…
    1. If you’re not an experienced sewer, start with an inexpensive blazer that you won’t weep over if you accidentally slice or botch it. Turn the blazer inside out and use a seam ripper or sharp scissors to take apart a few inches of the lining seam (enough for your hand to fit inside comfortably). Make this hole about a few inches above the sleeve opening.
    sleeve3
    2. If you are only slimming the sleeves, then the side hole made in step 1 is all you need. If you are also shortening the sleeve length or only shortening the sleeve length, then take apart the seams connecting the lining to the outer material.
    sleeve4
    3. While the blazer is still inside-out, push the sleeve lining up near the shoulders and out of your way.
    sleeve5
    4. Measure a blazer that fits you well, and mark the one being altered with fabric chalk. Note that sleeves should not be the same width from top to bottom. It should be wider at the armpit opening and taper down by the wrist. I marked the following using a Theory blazer as a guide: 5.5″ across by the armpit, 4.5″ across by the elbow, and 4″ across at the wrist opening.
    sleeve6
    5. Use a rule or straight edge to draw a fluid line, then pin. I hate using pins and always stab myself, but they serve to keep the two layers of fabric from moving around.
    sleeve7
    6. SEW in a uniform stitch along the chalked/pinned line. Remove pins before they get near the machine.

7. Trim off the excess leaving about half an inch beyond the stitch, otherwise the extra material could look bulky. If you have a serger, you can use it now to prevent the raw edges from fraying, or do a zig zag stitch on a regular sewing machine.
    sleeve8
    8. Iron down the freshly trimmed edges from the inside and then also from the outside. Ironing is critical to sewing. If this seam was not ironed down, then it will not look crisp and smooth from the outside.
    sleeve9
    9. Measure out your ideal sleeve length, trim then fold down the material, and iron to keep it in place.
    sleeve10
    10. Pull the lining back down and trim off the extra length as well. Leave about an inch of length between lining and the end of the sleeve, fold the lining under, and then iron to keep in place.
    sleeve13
    11. Now our sleeve and lining are ready to be joined. This was the trickiest step for me. Using one hand, go THROUGH the hole we created in step #1 to carefully pin the edge of the lining and the raw edge of the outer material together. Make sure the pin is not poking through the inner lining NOR the outer material.
    sleeve14

You can see my pins
    through the lining. Do this going all around the wrist opening:

sleeve15
    12. I have no idea how to clearly describe this next step. Insert your hand again through the hole created in step #1, and pull the raw edges of the outer + lining (should be pinned together) THROUGH the hole.
    sleeve18
    13. After you pull the entire wrist through the little side hole, it should make a full circle. Sew along the pins.
    sleeve19
    14. After you’re done sewing around the circumference of the sleeve opening, insert the end of the sleeve back through the side opening, so it’s back to normal. Steps 9-13 are how I joined the lining to the sleeve without any visible stitching from the outside. sleeve20
    15. Now, try on your blazer. Re-do the sleeve width or length if necessary, always ironing it smooth afterwards. Once you are satisfied with the alterations, we can close the little lining hole made in step 1. At this point I was too tired to learn an invisible stitch, so I just used pink thread and stitched the lining shut from the outside.
    sleeve21
    16. Lastly, (optional) I secured the sleeve length with a light hand stitch using the same colored thread.
    sleeve22

All done! Phew! I will show the completed garment soon.

Readers – Do you do your own alterations? If so, please share some tips or links to good tutorials.

96 thoughts on “DIY Alterations Tutorial: Slimming + shortening blazer jacket sleeves with lining

• Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

SO funny to see this post as I just ordered two sale blazers for $10 each. I was thrilled until I received the ship notification and realized I had ordered the TALL!!! What! Oh, heck no!! I can sew well enough but this task seems over my head….but now…why not! They were only $10. Thanks for this post

• Bravoe Runway January 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

WOW….I cannot sew nor can I cook to save my life. You did an amazing job with this jacket! What's next? A dress?? I bet you can do it!

• Jackie January 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Great post, Jean!

Since I plan on getting this balzer, I may need to reference this post again in the future. I don't know how comfortable I am trying to do an alteration like this, however.

I do do my own alterations 80% of the time. In the last couple years I have learned how to shorten sleeves, sew hems and take in garments without lining; not sure how I feel about doing lining too. I also do these by hand, I feel more comfortable that way. I have used a sewing machine before but I feel like I make more mistakes with a machine! Is that weird?

I guess it depends on whether or not I would rather have it done for well in exchange for money or "good enough" in exchange for time, because I think I'm okay at it.

• Laura Frost January 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Well done, Jean! I am so impressed! I might try this sometime soon. Your tutorial is very thorough and helpful.

• newpetite January 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thats awesome! Love how you've explained it step by step!

• nancy - adore to adorn January 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm

you're incredibly talented. i adore this DIY tutorial. love what you have done so far with the jacket. =)

• Helen January 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

OMG,you are so talented! I can't believe my eyes. I knew from your previous post that you have taken sew classes in China. Now after seen your amazing DIY, I think I need to learn that too when I go back to China:)Thanks for great post as always.

• Juneli January 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm

You are so incredibly talented!! I can't even sew a button nicely.

• Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Wow, I can't do it even after reading your instructions. You are amazing. The blazer looks very nice on you.

• Haute Muslimah January 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I was JUST trying to figure out how to do this to a thrifted Liz Claiborne blazer with huge arms. I was afraid I'd never be able to wear it, but I think I'll try this DIY and add some gold studs at the collar.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Or you can just live in Mexico where I do. Relatively cheaper tailoring! 🙂 –April

• Cat in Calico January 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

How do you magically always post something at the right time for me?? 🙂 I recently re-discovered a lovely BCBG Maxazria blazer that my mom had found for me at Marshall's waaaaay back, and remembered that the sleeves were way too long. I'm a bit of a DIYer myself but too lazy and confused to figure out some things, like how to reattach the lining again. Your strategy looks great and I will hopefully try it out soon. Your comment about your sewing skills is totally not true–you definitely have sewing talent!!

• Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Very cool – you are very talented. I have a question, what happens to the point where the sleeve joins the jacket (armpit area)? Once you trim off the access width wouldn't there be hole at the connection point?

• Kim January 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Great job! It looks professionally tailored! Love the jacket as well!

Kim

• PetiteAsianGirl January 13, 2012 at 12:37 am

Hi! It's Essie Hot Coco.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 13, 2012 at 12:41 am

I took lessons as a teen but they didn't cover a lot. I think lessons are key when you're just starting out, otherwise I wouldn't even know how to thread a sewing machine. After some basic lessons, you can self-teach by following tutorials or trying to retrace manufacturing steps like I did here.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

Best of luck to you! I am on level 3 but haven't started yet, and I think time is running out for this year : ( It's extremely tough to do it while working long hours, but after you finish it's an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Don't kill yourself doing it, though – it's not worth it! I was feeling emotionally and physically unwell last year after working those hours and studying each night, and I'm trying to avoid that for level 3.

• Katie January 13, 2012 at 3:32 am

wow, good job, for a self-confessed amateur!!

Katie x

• Anonymous January 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

You're so talented, Jean. Amazing!

(another, but not-so-talented) Jean from Singapore

• Jude January 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Nice! I doubt I could give you any advice as far as sewing, but the way you place your pins is different from the way I was taught. I place my pins perpendicular to the seam to be sewn and then trim the excess fabric after the sewing is done. The perpendicular placement allows the sewing needle to run over the needles without having to stop the machine and pull out each needle. I figure this is a six one way, half a dozen another tip. Either way the job gets done. : )

• Anonymous January 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Great tutorial! I always make my own alterations and the easiest I've ever done is a couple of darts in the back of a pencil skirt — it helps when the skirt isn't fitting quite right.

• al2ice January 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This is incredible! Your pictures and explanation made me think I can really try this myself. Just need the patience and finesse, oh and a sewing machine! 🙂 You are very TALENTED! Thank you very much for the instructions.

• xJOLE January 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh my goodness this looks insanely complicated! Amazing job, though.

• Anonymous January 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I really like the extensive alterations tutorials that are on the sew for dough website: http://sewfordough.wordpress.com/

• Anonymous January 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm

i have been following you for some months and i absolutely adore your fashion sense!!!
      i always have hard time finding pants, and i love how this pants fit you (at least whatever i can see)…where are they from? thank you

• Meg January 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm

What an amazing difference! Thanks for the tutorial — I'm not sure I have the guts, but it is great to see how you did it. The only two things I can add are 1. Use pinking shears to cut the excess off and it will save the trouble of serging or zig-zagging, especially if the piece is lined and that seam won't be getting any direct wear and 2. Press the seam with both selvedges together first to "set" the seam, and then press it open. It gives a really clean finish.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Great tip, thank you. I knew I needed some interfacing but was too lazy to find a JoAnns : / Will be sure to pick some up going forward for random projects.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hi there – My bad memory is preventing me from remembering which silk blouse this might be. I don't think I've ever altered one myself because I only work on "cheap" items in case I mess up. Let me know if you can find the post or exact item : )

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Hi Janki! I'm happy you've found some of my posts to be helpful : ) As for sleeve and pant hem length, it really is personal preference. I like my sleeves to end about one inch higher than the base of my thumb, whereas some like it closer to the wristbone. For non-skinny pants, I try them on with the shoes I'd be wearing the most (so go with your work heels if that's what you wear) and I like my pants to be about an inch above the ground. I hate dragging pants. Some women though like it closer to the ground so the leg lines are as long and lean as possible.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Megan – I tried my best to show it in the photos but I know it's not clear at all : / I don't know if I'm doing that step right because it seemed so tricky to me, but it was the only way I could figure out how to make that stitch not visible from the outside. Maybe if you search around the internet for sleeve shortening alterations, or on YouTube, some better tutorials will come up.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I left that point untouched…I didn't want it to look awkward or bunchy at the armpit so I just gradually made the sleeve slimmer while starting out at the original width by the armpit. I stopped trimming off the excess about 2-3 inches before the armpit area.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

THank you! Great site.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

The pants here are Gap legging jeans ordered online, in size 00 Petite. They are from a year or two ago though and the current petite length feels too short for me (and I'm only five feet tall). I don't know how tall you are but they carry regular lengths in store starting in size 24 / 00, which runs pretty small.

• Paula T January 15, 2012 at 7:36 am

You are right, his makes such a difference, I do the same sometimes. I picked up a beautiful vintage silk summer jacket in London a few months ago and it just wasn't right on my shoulders (I have narrow shoulders) So after a quick nip and tuck it was perfect. I didn't trim off the excess though so that I could pass on to others with less ridiculously small shoulders in the future once I've finished with it 🙂

• Monkey January 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

That's wonderful!! I have a blazer that's been languishing in my closet for years because the sleeves are too wide. I can't wait to try this myself. Thank you thank you!

• Midori January 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

jean this is amazing. if i ever figure out how to sew in a straight line (i'm hideously and embarrassingly sewing-machine challenged) i will give this a try on a cheap-ish jacket.

• Cindy Aparbal January 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for the guide I could've used this when I took in and shorten a blazers sleeve a few months ago. But this helps for future DIY projects thanks again.

• Irene :: { Heirloom Attire } :: January 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I slim sleeves and torsos down all the time too (I'm 5'2" and a slim 0P)! A trick I learned from my mom is that instead of pinning the sleeves along the chalk lines and having to take them out again before the machine, you can pin the sleeves perpendicular to the line and the machine's needle will just go right over it! Definitely saves some time. Great job, Jean! Your blazer looks so much better! 🙂

• Rach January 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

hi Jean, would you be able to recommend a sewing machine for projects such as this?

• Haute Muslimah February 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm