Video: What to wear with red + new style resolution

I’ve been trying to find different ways to wear old items, instead of constantly buying new stuff. Looking through my closet, I spotted this beautiful skirt which has not gotten much wear. I initially struggled to pair items with this bolder color, but after understanding some general color schemes (blog readers, I apologize for the repetitive content), I can now give this skirt the love it deserves.

Find your perfect red skirt:

Ann Taylor Wool Mini in petite & reg 0-18 (10000003953 for 40% off 1 item. Thanks, Chloe!)
Express Double Weave Pocketed Pencil Skirt in 00 – 12 reg (use 9372 for $30 off)
Ann Taylor Wool Crepe Pencil Skirt in petite & reg 00-18 (use GIFT50 for $50 off)

J.Crew Wool Crepe Pencil Skirt in petite & reg 00-16
The Limited Stretch Wide Waistband Pencil Skirt in reg 2-16 (use 404 for $15 off $50)

Color schemes shown in video:
1. Black and/or White – Clean and Crisp:
– H&M; lace-neck blouse (similar)
H&M; $9.95 white blouse, AA sheer dot tights, Ann Taylor Patent Pumps, eBay pearl studs
– LOFT lace print tee, BR belt, c/o t+j Designs bracelet, Talbots tweed flats (similar)
Also try: a freshly-ironed, white button-down shirt with patterned pumps, or a black & white striped top.

2. Neutrals – Soft and Warm:
– (from this post) Gap blouse, Michael Kors tortoise watch, Calvin Klein leopard pumps
– Makeshift camel shawl (love this camel crewneck pullover)
Also try: pairing neutrals + red with brown, cable, or herringbone tights.

3. Prints and Patterns – Fun and Modern:
– (from this post) LOFT floral top, Jcrew cardis, CL Simple pumps, Target Versie pumps (review)
– Ann Taylor leopard cardigan (similar in XS-XL) (similar in cashmere), Gap button-up shirt
Also try: layering chambray under prints and patterns for a casual look.
redskirtleopard
After reviewing this video, I realized with chagrin that every outfit was a top tucked into the skirt. I spend an inordinate amount of time at work, and my go-to outfit has morphed into the blouse + pencil skirt + pumps. Now that I have plenty of those, it is my style resolution to push myself out of that comfort zone, and build an interesting casual wardrobe that’s reflective of my personal style.

When I first started blogging, my goal was merely to find some work clothes that didn’t make me look & feel like a kid playing dress-up. After that foundation was achieved, I made some fashion resolutions in 2010, and now one more. Many of us (or myself, at least) are not born stylists, so it’s a continuous learning experience to dress ourselves well, in a way that flatters our bodies and helps us feel confident. For that reason, I’m thankful for the opportunity to share my trials and errors through this blog, and I’m thankful for your tips & constructive feedback.

Readers – What are your style resolutions? What would you like to refine, develop, or change about how you dress?

70 thoughts on “Video: What to wear with red + new style resolution

• CoffeeBreakCrn December 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

My staple outfit is a dress pants and a cardigan. I have tons of cardigan… in about every color possible…

But, I totally know what you mean about the kid playing dress up part. Even with the way you dress now, do you still get asked 'how old you are'? Or has the way you dress changed your entire look?

• Andrea December 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I'm more ExtraLARGE than ExtraPetite but I love your blog and videos. Even as a plus-size woman I get so many ideas and inspiration. I hope you do more videos with items already in your wardrobe. I think that is more true to life than seeing uber expensive items that the average woman can't afford (and I suspect many fashion bloggers are given to feature on their blogs and in their videos. Yes the occasional splurge of a high end item but not something new and expensive every post). I also love that you show a price range of options (like the Louboutins and the similar shoe from Target). I just wanted to comment and say thank you.

• Anonymous December 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thanks! I am guilty of wearing pants only and none of my cute skirts. I have a burgundy skirt that will work well. Do you think the tucked in look will work for us more top heavy, short waisted petites? Yeah, new style resolutions for me!

• PetiteLittleGirl December 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Super informative video, Jean! I love your red skirt. One of my style resolutions is to incorporate more color into my daily outfits. I think I've somewhat accomplished that. This year, I'd like to get into sewing more. Hopefully, I'll be able to do my own alterations.

• Anonymous December 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love how shiny your hair looks! May I ask what shampoo and conditioner you use? 🙂

• The Little Dust Princess December 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Very informative post/video, Jean. Loved all your pairings! One of my faves is with the $10 blouse..so classic! In my teen years, I wore a lot of red and now that I look at my closet, I realize that all of my red clothes have disappeared. Sooo weird. I keep going through these phases. 😛 I look forward to seeing your style evolve in the next year. : )

• Mary Ann December 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

This is great – thanks! I love your videos!

• Megan December 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Thank you so much for the video!!! I didn't think a red pencil skirt could work for the office, but now I see that it can. 🙂

• R.L. December 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Jean, love the video and all the pairings. My top faves were with the b&w; H&M; blouse and with the slouchy LOFT tee 🙂 Just curious, have you ever thought about wearing your leopard sweater with your leopard pumps? or do you think that would be too busy?

• Girlie Blogger December 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I love red with neutrals. You are right, it's "Pleasing to the eye."

• M December 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm

This is random but what is the book you were showing the colour wheel with?

Also, the video was great! I think I see a red skirt in my future.

• Alice Gu December 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm

so trendy with the red skirt! I just bought one over black friday and am waiting for a holiday party to wear it!

I have a random question kind of unrelated to this post. I remember you said you were debating between this pair of louboutins over the new simple pumps. Why did you choose this pair over the new simples? I was just curious since I think I'm ready to invest in a long lasting pair of heels, and am debating between those two styles. Thanks!

• Bravoe Runway December 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I struggle with re-styling dresses. Sure you can wear it as is, add a blazer, or a cardigan, a vest and so forth. I am not a huge fan of layering things under a dress, like a blouse, nor do I like to turn a dress into a top by tucking it under a skirt…it just sounds incredibly uncomfortable and restricting while sitting in my office all day. Great job on styling the red skirt.

• Sarah December 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

The tutorial was great! Haha, I tend toward the safe side b/c my fav combos (in terms of what I'd try out) were the skirt + black/white top and the skirt + the neural top. My outfits tend to be jeans-/pants-oriented w/ a gray/navy/white color scheme, so I think my style resolution would be to wear more color and to wear more skirts & dresses.

• lin December 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm

great video and very informative. i've been on the lookout for a nice red pencil skirt because of you. 😉 i haven't found one yet but this video gives me lots of inspirations. thanks!

• Michelle December 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm

The leopard pairings are so great! Amazing with red!

Lol!! Do you usually say "woosh, woosh, woosh" when you tuck in your tops? That was too cute! :p

I am excited to see your more casual looks!

• Ella December 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I know you just got back from a trip to Europe not too long ago. It looked like you had fun! 🙂 Is it cold over there? I'm going on a business trip next week (my first one ever) and I was wondering, will one coat be enough for a week-long trip? Or would it be better to dress with more variety since it's a work setting? Thanks!

• material mommie December 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Love them all! I saw the black n white dress shirt at H&M; the other day but couldn't find a size 2!

• SS December 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm

What an interesting Video! I never imagined I could try red clothes. Your Video will help me a lot!

I LOVE your H&M; black lace-neck blouse. Looks really sexy and sophisticated.

• Melody December 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I love the top and the shoes!!! 😀 Cute post

teaandbubbly.blogspot.com

• SewPetiteGal December 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Great video! I love that you wore your camel skirt as a top just to show us how nicely it pairs with the red. That plus almost toppling over so we could see your dotted tights shows your dedication to us readers (and we are thankful for it). I'd like to see the red skirt plus stripes for a Parisian take or with a plaid / gingham for a preppy spin 🙂

I recently purchased a red-orange skirt and I think everything you did here can be reapplied – that makes me a happy camper!

• Pret Amoda December 8, 2011 at 12:03 am

You have a lovely blog! Glad that I came across it! Please check out my blog Style-new arrivals clothes
    Would appreciate your feedback:-)
    fashion and change are in sync with each other.Indian fashion is too good with the trends in fashion and with the advent of western influence in the indian designs ladies' smile gets wider with the quest of new arrivals clothes.Be it any online store in India or elsewhere, New-In section on websites get most clicks..I would like to open some clothing website in India.

• Anonymous December 8, 2011 at 12:04 am

i was just thinking about buying a red skirt. love this post! where is your red skirt from?

• Petite and Hungry December 8, 2011 at 12:30 am

i love how classy you look in everything and that red skirt goes well with soooo many things!

• Sensy~Style December 8, 2011 at 1:02 am

One of my resolutions for 2012 is to incorporate more colour into my work closet. As it is, close to 99% of my bottoms (skirts, pants) are blacks and the 1%? dull browns :'( sob!

I will definitely be coming back to you for style references. I love your coloured skirts collection and really admire how much thought you put into your ensembles.

• shystardreamer December 8, 2011 at 1:23 am

Wonderful video. I recently brought a red skirt during the Black Friday and haven't wore the skirt yet. I'm so glad you do a video on red skirt. Now I have more ideas. Love all your pairing.

• 010 December 8, 2011 at 2:03 am

really helpful tips!
    3lin

• GlamorousGirl December 8, 2011 at 3:08 am
  • Anonymous December 8, 2011 at 3:21 am

thank you Jean for the nice video! I love the colour red and I have many red things in my closet, but I never took really the time to think what to pair it with to make it look more interesting. Thanks for the ideas and greetings from Germany, merry Christmas

• B.Boss December 8, 2011 at 3:40 am

I love that you give stylish ideas that are trendy and high fashion yet very affordable because you use items from stores you can find at almost any mall!

• anny December 8, 2011 at 4:33 am

i love the way recycle your wad rode instead of buying every single piece new but i will really want u to do bags video wich ones u own which one we should spend there is so many designer bags please do it

• zimt-peppermint December 8, 2011 at 5:34 am

This year I tried to stop wearing jeans all the time and try different bottoms. I am so amazed about how my wardrobe has changed! My new resolution would be to try to buy more quality clothing, only buy things on sale (I'm allready pretty good at that -thanks to online shopping), learn about good fitted clothes and maybe try some sewing. Yay, I'm so excited!

• Cincity26 December 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

I am pretty petite myself and love tha you take the time to explain what works for that kind of body.

• JJ December 8, 2011 at 9:49 am

Great video! I especially love the leopard-red combo – there's something very Mad Men about it that I adore. I've been eyeing the AT wool mini for some time, but haven't yet bitten the bullet and bought it. Red is (as you've shown) very versatile!

• Anonymous December 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hi Jean! I really enjoy the black/white color scheme paired with RED, the lucky color being said!

May I know which part of China do you come from?

A reader from Hong Kong =)

• Chandra December 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

Thanks you for the post, I just bought a new red pencil skirt at The Limited which I absolutely love, but I have been looking for inspirations for how to style it. I wore it to work this week with a cream colored, ruffle placket blouse & caramel pumps & handbag. Thanks to you, I have bunch more ideas now! : )

• The life after December 8, 2011 at 11:58 am

Every outfit is perfect on you!! Anyhow the skirt is quite pink instead of red (at least from the video). You look great!

The Life After

• Danielle December 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Great video, Jean! Love it!
    Since you are a pro at tucking tops into skirts, any tips on keeping everything smooth underneath? I will try to tuck things in but then that sometimes makes for unsightly VPL or you can see my blouse tucked in underneath

• Faith December 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for the video! The timing is perfect! I just bought the Front Pleat Crepe Skirt in flame red from LOFT and haven't figured out how to style it. I can't wait to try your tips.

• bevy December 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

great ideas for mixing with red. i think a light blue, chambray type top would work well too!