• Back to Classics: Red, Leopard, and Trench

redleopard4

Thrifted & altered red skirt (similar in petites), Gap blouse

This outfit combines several of my wardrobe classics – the pieces that I reach for time after time because they make me feel happy, polished and lady-like. This includes my tan trench coat with a crisp silhouette (still in love with the shoulder epaulettes and sharp collar), my neutral bow blouse that friends are so sick of seeing, and my ever-versatile leopard pumps that just tie together outfits which I otherwise have a hard time finding shoes for.

redleopard1

Watch: Michael Kors Bracelets: c/o t+j Designs  Lip: Rimmel Bordeaux  Sunnies: Chanel #5182

My red pencil skirt is a piece that I am dying to wear more often, however it’s been a challenge styling it for the workplace in this frigid weather. Opaque black or brown tights (a must for staying warm) are acceptable with a red skirt, but I feel it takes away from the clean look and limits the options up top. Recently we were blessed with a 60 degree day, and I jumped at the opportunity to break out this skirt in bare legs…

I get a lot of questions on how to tuck blouses into skirts without getting unsightly visible lines. As you can see up above, I’m a victim of this as well. I know it has to do with the material/weight of the top and the skirt, because this only happens with certain skirts. Any tips to nix blouse lines are appreciated.
    redleopard3
    I will be doing a video soon on styling a red pencil skirt, in honor of the holiday season. If you’ve been searching for one, there are quite a few options out there in various shades of red:

Left: Ann Taylor Wool Mini in Chili Pepper (use 10000003953 for 40% off 1 item – thanks Chloe!)
    Center: Express Double Weave Pocketed Pencil Skirt in Mars Red, sizes 00 – 12 available
    Right: Ann Taylor Wool Crepe Pencil Skirt in Bright Crimson (gorgeous alternative to bright red)

red2red5red3

And this isn’t pictured, but J.Crew also has a Petite Wool Crepe Pencil Skirt in Decadent Red. Sizing runs similar to Ann Taylor. For petites who are new to these brands, I am 5 feet, 93 lbs, 32-24-32 and their wool pencil skirts in 00P usually require taking-in the waist & side slimming (a $25 job at my tailors).
    redleopard5
    And oh, the Ivanka Trump leopard pumps from this post arrived and were returned. The heel, measured from the back, was higher than expected at 4 inches, and the platform was hard for me to walk in. I’m sticking to my chunkier-heeled, rubber-soled CK’s. The pricier Diane Von Furstenberg April pumps have a similar, stable heel, and are currently on sale in sizes 6-10 (reviewers say they run small).

redleopard2

Readers – Which pieces are your wardrobe classics?

48 thoughts on “Back to Classics: Red, Leopard, and Trench

• JJ December 2, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Beautiful skirt! When I have the issue of a particular shirt/skirt pairing causing visible lines to appear, I always smooth it out by wearing a pair of nude tights over my shirt – it helps create a smoother, more seamless look. It doesn't always work perfectly – particularly if the shirt is something thick like a wool sweater – but it usually doe the trick pretty well!

On another note, I love that gold braided bracelet. How pretty!

• Katherine December 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

How are you liking those sunglasses? They look lovely on you and I have tried them on a few times (as well as countless other Chanel cat eyes) but I'm afraid that they will slide down my nose after a few hours of wear – are these pretty good on you?

Love the whole outfit btw!

• Girlie Blogger December 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Looks beautiful. Love those leopard pumps. It's nice to get back to basics.

• Michelle December 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I love the bow shirt as well. I got it a while ago but don't wear is as often because it wrinkles easily. Also, it's very see-through so I have to make sure I have a blazer on top of it. If i wear a cami underneath it you can then see the straps. : Do you have this problem as well? DO you wear an undershirt with it?

• Mary Ann December 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I love the red skirt and your photography is particularly beautiful today!

• The_Leather_Skirt_Blog December 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

You look marvelous my dear! LOVE the red skirt!

I know what you mean, I want one so bad but I always struggle with how I would wear it. I have seen some great ideas over the last couple of weeks so i am getting closer to taking the plunge.

• L.T. December 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Gorgeous and classy. Really love this entire outfit.

• anny December 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i love your style its so me i recently splurge on this burberry tench coat for myself but unfortunatly i have to pay for full price because its all sold out everywhere it was only avialable at one of burberry store at chicago where i live but i really think its worth it ..and i m very pleased with my purchase and i really want u too do more styles with jeans and mix match with this trench i wear jeans a lot love anny

• Anonymous December 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I enjoy your blog, but the gap blouse you have in this post is over used.

• jenn ashleigh December 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Express has a knee length red pencil skirt as well. It is high waisted and curve/hip hugging.

I recently bought it in red and the "cool earth" color since its buy 1 get 1 t 50% off.

• Emily December 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love this outfit! You have completely converted me: I used to think leopard print was tacky, but you make it look so classy. You look so Audrey Hepburnish here.

I bought an adorable red wool skirt in size 2 at Esprit last week that fits great (I'm 5'1, 110 lbs). Esprit made such a great comeback a few years ago with fantastic clothes… and now they're about to close all their North American stores! Booo. So get there while you can! Their sizes are similar to H&M; but the clothing is better quality.

This is the skirt I got at Esprit… I couldn't find it on the Esprit site but I did a Google image search and found it here: http://www.slice.ca/blog/photos/rants_raves/images/237041/original.aspx

• Leslie Moo December 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Cute outfit! I love the skirt, blouse, trench, and shoes separately as well. You and I have the same measurements, and I'm also a 00 Petite. I love the accessories that you're wearing in the photos above. How do you accessorize without it overwhelming your frame? Do you just pick one area to accessorize (e.g., your wrist) and then leave the rest bare? I'm new to your blog, so if you've already covered this topic, you can just post a link. Thanks!

• Petite and Hungry December 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

gorgeous as always!

• lin December 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

love everything about this outfit. i've never thought of wearing a red skirt with leopard pumps but it actually looks really nice. 😀

• CC December 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

That trench coat is beautiful 🙂 Ahh the "visible tuck lines" (VTL)! To be honest, I don't know what's worse, VPL's or VTL's?! My only suggestion that I've tried myself is to wear shapewear undergarments (i.e. in pantyhose or even bike shorts) and tuck the blouse in those as snugly and as smoothly as possible. It works and your skirt will be as smooth as Joan's from Mad Men.

• Tara D December 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I often tuck my blouse into a pair of Spanx shorts. It keeps the lines smooth and also helps keep the blouse more securely tucked-in.

• dietingfashions December 2, 2011 at 7:12 pm

The outfit screams Parisian! So chic Jean. Love it.

My wardrobe classics for the winter season is filled with neutrals. I love wearing my Banana Republic Ruffle Sweater Vest in a gray/brown with a layering tee or even a turtleneck for colder days.

My Zara wool peacoat in cream is a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I need to lose more weight to fit back in to it for this winter.

• Sidney Salim December 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm

You look super gorgeous! I love the blouse and the shoes. The red skirt matches your beautiful red lips really well.

• PinkOrchids December 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

You.Are.So.Stylish!!!! This outfit screams Chic and Elegance, I really love your blouse, too bad it was last season I doubt I can still get it. I love all your videos too!! 🙂 xX

• yuni.k December 2, 2011 at 7:52 pm

So classy! Tortoiseshell, red, leopard print, trench, and the whole shebang! I have an Express khaki colored leather jacket that fits me perfectly that I can't seem to put away.

• tiffyama December 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Great outfit! I too find that leopard print shoes can bring together an outfit ever so simply.

• Russian Chic December 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

You look lovely as always. May I please ask what is the fabric content & style name/number of your trench? Thank you.

• Chris @ Granola2Glam December 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Way too cute! I hardly see you wear sunglasses, and I'm liking it! Was it sunny in Boston today?

• PetiteInHeels December 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm

The red skirt and top go so well together! It's so sophisticated and well put together.

• E December 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Looks great! Every time I convince myself it wouldn't be practical for me to get leopard heels, you push me back on the fence. And I really debated about it during Black Friday weekend…it's a shame my size is no longer available in these.

• faye lu December 2, 2011 at 11:37 pm

you look so beautiful in red. love the heels =)

• Michelle December 3, 2011 at 2:04 am

black dress

• Canadianpetite December 3, 2011 at 3:10 am

Ahh It's so good of you to show visible shirt line. Makes me feel normal. I usually tuck thin blouses/shirts in nylons or Spanx (slip not shorts kind). As long as it isn't my underwear that is visible, I'm ok with the rest. As for classics, I'd say animal print scarf and chunky link necklace.

• Sarah December 3, 2011 at 4:00 am

Invest in a few pairs of seamless boy shorts undies..You can then tuck your shirt into them whenever you're wearing pencil skirts. Works for me all the time =)

• Kiwi December 3, 2011 at 5:06 am

Love this look. The red skirt is really lovely. I think a royal blue pencil skirt would look great on you too.
      That blouse can definitely be a wardrobe staple.

• Anonymous December 3, 2011 at 6:34 am

Hi Jean , that's is a beautiful outfit. I love those heals.
      What brand do you recommend
      for opaque tight and pantyhose nude color?

• Megan December 3, 2011 at 11:45 am

Well, now there's another thing to add to my winter clothes wishlist! 🙂 Love the red skirt! I think it'd look great with sheer black tights.

• Jessica December 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

I am SO glad to hear that you are going to do a blog on styling a red pencil skirt. I just thrifted a Yves Saint Laurent red skirt for $6.99 (something I obviously couldn't pass up), but need tips on styling!
      Thanks for your amazing tips!

• Anonymous December 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

You should try the red skirt and the H&M; blouse you posted last time. Plus a good pair of almond toe black patent leather heels.

OR leopard print cardigan or shirt with red skirt, neutral pumps.

Finally, I have a love of camel and red together. This pairing is particularly striking on blonds, but I also think it looks very French, esp with a chic scarf.

–April

• Callandra December 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Your outfit is very chic and classic Jean! I know what you mean about the tuck in blouse problem though….so annoying right?! So far our weather has been too cold for bare legs but I've heard that tomorrow might actually reach 60 and what a great idea to wear a red skirt!!

• Meg December 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This outfit is so pretty. I love those shoes!!!

• sara December 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm

ah beautiful! Where did you get your sunglasses from?

• The Little Dust Princess December 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I like how you're beginning to add more to your wrists! : )

• Anonymous December 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hi Jean,
      You look so chic-love the skirt. Have you seen the flair skit in double-serge wool from Jcrew? What do you think of it in heather acorn? I've been looking for a camel colored skirt for work and the weekends.

• Mia December 4, 2011 at 3:49 am

Hey Jean,

I have been following your blog for quite some time now but I think this is the first time I've ever left a comment. I absolutely love your streamline yet edgy style. You inspired me to look for and purchase a "bib" or baroque necklace like the one you have with the blue stones.

I look forward to seeing all of your amazing updates! Keep up the good work!

always,