$35 H&M Shrunken Woven Blazer is Back

handmteal

Blazer: H&M; sz 2, $34.95 (item # 040640, comes in turquoise or black)
Left: H&M; dress  Right: Ann Taylor Factory top, Ann Taylor skirt (similar)
Left: Louboutin Simple 100 pumps  Right: Aldo

It’s a known fact that H&M; brings back popular styles, so I’m always on the lookout for past favorites to share with you guys. One of my most beloved purchases from earlier this year was a woven navy blazer in a soft knit material. The fit is very slim/shrunken so it’s perfect for petites. It’s currently back in a basic black (seems very popular – my store was pretty much sold out) and this vibrant teal.

Likes: can’t ask for a better fit, affordable at $34.95, woven material is comfy and versatile
Dislikes: vibrant color (is fun but) harder to create outfits with, and I’m trying to avoid buying duplicates

Fitted back view and buttoned-up view:

handmteal1

As a refresher on how versatile the navy version is, here’s a snippet of my past posts that feature it:
wmsocialhour1BlueGreen2_benchstriped pencil1

I noticed that some find this color inappropriate for work or certain seasons, which is surprising to me. This color in person is very similar to a bright turquoise dress which I wore at various times, both casually and to work, and did not feel it was unprofessional or unacceptable. For business formal I’m all about the dark suit, but for other environments – it doesn’t hurt to explore color and stand out a little. My personal challenge with this color is figuring out what to coordinate it with, and not because it’s inappropriate.

I’m torn – keep it for the perfect fit and challenge myself to style the color? Or return? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

59 thoughts on “$35 H&M Shrunken Woven Blazer is Back

• Ella Pretty Blog October 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm

It looks lovely on you – especially with the Ann Taylor top. I do think that the navy one is more versatile – while this may only go with a few outfits – so I vote for returning it.

I hope I can find it in black in my size. I hope they come out with a charcoal grey version!

• Really Petite October 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I say keep!!! It's so cute and fits perfectly!! My store was out of it otherwise I'd pick it up too! I have the orange/red and navy one…LOL

• Rinny October 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love the color on you, and you how styled it in the 2nd outfit, but I agree with Ella that the navy one is more versatile, especially since this color is a bit bold for the office.

• PetiteLittleGirl October 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I say return! I tried it on the other day too but didn't end up getting it. The color is definitely fun but would you wear this color to work? Probably not! I couldn't think of any pieces in my closet that I can pair this blazer with. I do love the fit though.

• ~Mel October 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm

hey girl! i'd say return. i'm all for the bold color and such but i find this color not as appealing as say a cobalt blue. you know how fashion changes quite often so i although the cut and fit is classic, the color could easily get dated. hope that helps!

• Anonymous October 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

OMG I swear we have the exact same taste! Even though I am at the border of petiteness and normal sizes (5'3.5"), petite clothing often works for me, especially for jackets. I often come back home after a day of shopping to find you featuring the same items that I tried/bought! I just got this blazer a couple of days ago and have worn it already (with the grey lace tshirt form LOFT and black gap legging jeans). I totally missed the navy version – I hope they bring it back. Love your blog!

• kileen October 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

i really love colored blazers and this teal one is so pretty! i have to admit though that i'd be pushing myself to style it too {I have a teal skirt that I've realized is pretty hard to style}. i love the outfits you've come up with though so i think teal is right up your alley!

• girly girl October 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

It may not be as versatile as the navy one but the color is beautiful on you though. And I love how you styled it on the 2nd outfit. I say keep! 🙂 P.S I replied to your email on AN.

• Michelle October 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

If you want a bright item to play with, keep it. For me it would be a return because I do not like to have solid brights near my face!

Your hair looks gorgeous! The way the light is hitting it makes it look like you have some blonde highlights!

• easy petite looks October 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm

i definitely think you can make it work, but i guess the question is, is it worth the effort? i say keep it around for a while and see if you actually wear it 🙂

• Anonymous October 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You look great, Jean! But I vote return; it doesn't seem very versatile.

• Anonymous October 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

That color is super flattering on you – I say keep it if you have enough existing items in your closet to make a couple different outfits. It goes beautifully with the orange/white print dress in the first pic. You won't wear it as often as the navy one, but my thought when I say the first picture was "Wow!"

• Anna October 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm

This blazer is too loud for the work-appropriate skirt+blouse ensemble and is too harsh for the soft, feminine dress. This blazer could possibly work with boyfriend jeans, camel oxfords, and a striped top for a funky casual look – but that doesn't quite seem like your style; more Atlanic-Pacific than Extra Petite. My vote – return and don't look back!

The navy blazer is a winner though – you style it so chicly (is that a word?) and effortlessly.

• Petite and Hungry October 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm

love the color on you!

• withloveshmon October 11, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I think it looks awesome! keep it!! Love the bright color

• lin October 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm

jean, the blazer looks great on you. it's up to you whether to return or keep. it may not be as versatile as the blue one but it's still nice.

• danica October 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I love the color and it looks great on you. I say keep it! 🙂

• Natasha xoxo October 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I purchased this blazer in teal as well! I say keep it. I've actually been having a surprisingly easy time pairing with outfits… taking the leap to mix with pinks, corals, whites and easy blacks! I tend to wear a lot of black in the fall/winter, so this blazer will definitely add some color.

xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

• Angie October 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm

the fit is nice, but the colour isn't versatile. i think it's too bright to be flattering with many outfits. return!

• Toni October 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm

actually, i love this color! it would be perfect for colorblocking outfits! with neutrals of course to give that pop of color. also perhaps not for daily work wear, but its a cute add on for a casual date out with friends. i would say to try to challenge yourself, and keep it!

and i actually found this on Ping's blog,

i love the way she tones down the blazer with a simple white tee. you dont necessarily need to wear jean shorts, but black or cargo bottoms would work too!

• R.L. October 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I'm torn as to what to suggest! I think it comes down to do you like the color and would you feel comfortable wearing it to work? It might not be as versatile as the navy but I can see it working with a ton of things especially basics. Black dress or bottom, skinny jeans, whites, grays, and if you have a navy sheath you could even do an inverted of your color theory. It'll definitely be a spring/summer statement piece and maybe even for winter.

• Ping October 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm

i say return. i saw that color in the store and feel that it's almost too bright and colorful for the office. i think it would be good for the weekends though, if that is what you're looking for…

• Megan October 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

The color is so vibrant and unique for a blazer, and you ALWAYS know how to put outfits together right. I'd say if you love it enough, keep it. 🙂 Although, I do agree with the others that it may be a tad too bright for the office. I think it'd be cute for casual wear though!

• M October 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I tried the navy one on back when it was in stores. The fit was great but it was sold out when I was ready to buy. The teal is fun and bright but I'd feel nervous about wearing to work and there does seem to be a big difficulty in creating outfits. I say return.

• Olyvia October 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I love that it fits like a glove on you! But bright turquoise jackets are a tricky color. I don't know if it's the camera/lighting, but your skin-tone sort of looks washed out or too pale with this jacket on. I vote return. Hopefully H&M; will bring more colors in this style!

• Elle October 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm

My store actually came through for once and stocked this style…I picked up both this turquoise color and the black a little while ago but have the same concerns that you have. My problem is compounded by the fact that I wasn't able to find size 4's in either style so took home the 2 to ponder.

I really want you to keep this blazer but that may not be the best decision for you…I think your track record speaks for itself…things you keep tend to get a lot of wear so let your heart/reason combo be the guide. 🙂

• ♥Mishi à la mode♥ October 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Love the color of the blazer, super versatile, first outfit has a retro feel and the second is very classy. Loves it ^_^ Sucks, i didn't get a chance to visit H&M; to use my 25% off =(… maybe next time.

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Looks more springy…if in person, this color looks good against your skin, keep it. Would be nice with skinny white capris and printed top. Ofcourse it'll have to wait to be worn until spring 🙂

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 12:12 am

Color looks so different on H&M; site…more fall like.

• Rainy Days and Lattes October 12, 2011 at 12:33 am

I'm torn too! I really like the color a lot. Teals are some of the most fresh colors ever, but it's hard to pull off the look. I'd probably vote to return it, because it's hard to wear this in the office without screaming for attention (not intentionally of course). You can keep it for the weekends though, but is it kind of formal to go out in? :p

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 12:33 am

Hi Jean, I have been a reader of your blog for over a year and I adore your fashion sense and styles! I recently graduated from school and am going to start my first job in an accounting firm. I am going to have a new hire luncheon at the end of this month. The dress code is business casual. Do you have any recommendations on what I should wear to make an impression but not going overboard? Thank you very much!

• yuni.k October 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

That teal is really bright! I vote return. The fit and cut look great, but the shade of teal and the little matching buttons look on the cheap side. I can see this being an impulse buy in a season or two. The loud hipster color does not suit a classic beauty like you!

• Canadianpetite October 12, 2011 at 2:15 am

Color is great on you but too bright for fall unless you want to store it until spring. I like how you styled it #2. I think this jacket in this color is better worn casually as in with jeans and tee. But then again, what do I know???

• Amy October 12, 2011 at 2:18 am

I'd say return. I saw this one in store and don't like the teal color. And the fabric looks so so! Keep the money for something of better quality.

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 2:34 am

keep!!!!!
    Reasons:
    1) it looks good on you imo &
    2) you are young only once!

the older you get, the more you will be discouraged to wear that colour

but of course, just my two cents.

• karen October 12, 2011 at 3:27 am

Hi Jean — Hope you don't mind me asking. What do you recommend wearing for a beach engagement photo shoot? I was thinking the Ann Taylor Factory Lace Vintage Dress but do you think I should go slightly more casual? Help! Thanks!!!

• couturecoco October 12, 2011 at 4:50 am

It is a great fit. But this colour is so limiting though, I can only see it as a Summer jacket with lots of whites/ivory, that's all. Even if if was a sky blue or royal blue, it would be easier. I'm sure you'll find another jacket or even use the money to save up for something else. So overall, I have to vote return sorry!

• faye lu October 12, 2011 at 6:47 am

this blazer looks like it was made for you =)
    such a beautiful pop of colour x

• NeutraKris October 12, 2011 at 8:41 am

Definitely keep it! It's a gorgeous color that suits you very well.

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 10:51 am

i'd say RETURN, it doesn't look professional for work, and i think you'd easily hate the color next year . not a good investment