Getting drenched for Bon Me Boston

bonme1
Most Bostonians are familiar with SOWA Sundays in the South End, where local artists, artisans and farmers come out to sell their goods. I’ve been to this a few times, and pretentiously picked at some $8 organic tomatoes and sampled crusty bread. Somehow, I had no idea that a sizeable community of food trucks were situated in the back area. Last Sunday we had a torrential downpour, but Nick and I braved the weather for food. I was dying to wear my new trench, but per usual, sensible Nick said “too warm.” : /
bonme2
Nick has pointed out the Bon Me truck to me a few times in the past, so my mouth fell open when the owner, chef Ali, mentioned she was a fan of Extra Petite! She descended from the high truck to reveal her 5 ft tall frame, and we chatted like old friends. “I feel like I already know you!” she greeted me, and I have to say I’ve felt that way with every reader and fellow blogger I’ve hung out with. My non-blogging friends do not understand the concept of an online community, and get concerned when I mention I’m going to hang out with strangers I met over the internet.
bonme
Bon Me is a “gourmet food truck serving Vietnamese-inspired food with local sourcing.” So fusion fare made with local ingredients. We had deviled tea eggs (with housemade spicy mayo, scallions, and aleppo pepper), a chicken rice bowl, BBQ pork banh mi sammy, and a chocolate rice pudding with a hint of star anise. Nick was a happy camper. I don’t think I got to sample the pudding before it vanished!
bonme3

Readers – Is there a large food truck community by where you live? Which ones are your faves?

64 thoughts on “Getting drenched for Bon Me Boston

• gold N turquoise August 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

This chance meeting is so adorable! In the 1st pic, it's evident how petite you really are. πŸ™‚

(You definitely have blessed proportions, so you don't look as diminutive in your other posts.)

• Ping August 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

aww so cute…jean you have fans everywhere!! yes, we have lots of food trucks here, it's all over the place.

• HeyDahye August 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Yummm looks like a fun day!

• CynthiaC August 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! The (gourmet) food truck experience is only beginning to hit Toronto (red tape, regulations ,etc…) so there aren't too many around yet…

• Claud August 10, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Adorable pictures, Jean! No food trucks where I live (that I'm aware of) πŸ™ Yummy!! my mouth is watering seeing all this delicious-looking food.

BTW I bought at HM a similar t-shirt to yours but more boatneck style and the colors is more golden mustard and this cute set of belts:

• Anna August 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Yum! Love Bon Me… tried it at SOWA a month ago and I've been wanting to go back for more ever since!

• Cher August 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

DC has a TON of food trucks. On Fridays they gather at what is called (or what I call) the Food Truck Mecca around McPherson Square. You can easily be overwhelmed by all the choices!

• Rainy Days and Lattes August 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Mmm, I love food :p LA is notorious for food trucks but I don't live there anymore so I brave the streets in SF for it whenever I have the chance. The idea of Vietnamese food made like that is a dream πŸ™‚ I want to eat Bon Me now πŸ™‚ And how cool is it that the chef is a fan of your blog? Double yay!!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm

@Rainy Days and Lattes @Ping @Cher I figured LA, SF, and NYC had tons of food truck options. Didn't know about DC!

@Claud I knew what belts you were referring to before I even opened the link! I was checking out last week and the girl next to me had them. I was eyeing them and was about to run and grab them when I realized it was a 3-pack.

@Anna SOWA is such a fun time on a sunny day! Darn unpredictable Boston weather. I'd like to go back as well and try their noodle dish.

• Gracie August 10, 2011 at 11:15 pm

oy! I'm quite the picky eater when it comes to Banh mi. The joints in chinatown aren't up to standard so i'm dying to try Bon Me when i get a free weekend. sigh.

From the looks of it, the ratio of bread to filling looks about right.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 10, 2011 at 11:18 pm

@Gracie Bon Me is Viet-inspired so I would say it's more on fresh ingredients and less authentic flavored … are you looking for completely authentic? Eating this on Sunday actually started an insane Banh Mi kick for me and I tried sandwiches from THREE different places since Sunday – 163 and new saigon in Chinatown, and then Pho Viets in 88. All different, all yummy to me because I dont know what authentic really tastes like. Which places have you tried and what were your disappointments?

• MoneyMaus August 10, 2011 at 11:18 pm

FOOD TRUCKS!! πŸ™‚

There are so.many in NYC as you know… I try to check out a new one at least once a week. I'm kind of obsessed! The Bon Me in Boston looks fantastic.

• Jen August 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Funny that you mention food trucks because I just learned about Bon Me recently, along with some other trucks around the city (via http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/gallery/foodtrucks/). I have got to try Bon Me–it looks so good! How fun that the owner is a fan of yours too. πŸ™‚

• Hellen August 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Austin has a huge food truck community all over the city! A lot of them travel around and will use Twitter to update everybody on their whereabouts. I loooove trying all of them out, except I gotta watch my weight as well. πŸ™‚

That looks so delicious! I'm putting it on my list for places to scope out if I visit Boston somday!

• kam wam August 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm

food looks so yummy. i'm jealous!

• Kellie August 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

There are a ton of food trucks in Los Angeles, but I have yet to venture out and try any πŸ™

Love the pics as always! and that's so cool that you have fans everywhere! I think meeting people online COULD be creepy, but it would depend on the people lol…

• Gracie August 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm

@PAG, I tried a number of places in chinatown, mainly the ones on that main road (beach street, thanks to Google Earth).

There was a Mike's Banh Mi from several months back that I had tried and was by far the best banh mi I've ever tasted in Boston/CT. The bread was airy french baquette, the Pate had a very slight tang of sweetness, the additions of raw onions gave it some freshness. They had this amazing marinated steaks which were to die for!! Sadly, when I returned they had closed down and the new one, Sub city or something like that, didn't live up to my high hopes. I asked for an original as they called it, and got a mixture of mustard sauce with cold cuts, which is fine, just not what I expected. I don't recall Vietnamese ever cooking with mustard.

My major disappointment have always been this new trend of replacing "asian ham" with american ham. The flavor profiles are completely different! American ham really don't jive well with the rest of the ingredients.

The one's I remember thanks to google earth:
    Lu's Banh Mi
    Sub City
    Sadly, both 163 and New Saigon.

I did only try the original cold cuts for all of them as my testing sub. If I like them after that initial test, I try the other ones.

I sound like a complete BM snob. =/

I need to scope out the joints in NYC. I hear there are lots of places in NYC but I've yet to find one!

Speaking of NYC, I'd thought I'd let you know that the cart food across the famous Chicken and Rice stand on SE side near the MOMA is also owned by the same guy. So if you're in NYC next time and looking to cut the line, go for that one.

phew… i'm glad to finally get that rant off of my chest. It's been boiling in the last few months since Mike's Banh Mi closed.

• Wendy's Lookbook August 10, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Jean, you are so tiny! I already knew that but you're so adorable I just wanna put you in my pocket! LOL. I kept on looking at the first picture again to try and figure out where you were!

• J August 10, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Jean, I just had to "lol" when I read your comment about the blogging community and the non-bloggers (everybody else). I didn't see you in the first picture when I quickly skimmed the page (while at work) 'til I read the first comment!! How were the deviled eggs?? The food truck movement is huge over here in the Bay Area, CA & LA. I'm not the biggest fan though.

• Anonymous August 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

Hi Jean, it is amazing that people nnow recognize you in the streets:-)

I posted a comment with a request, but maybe the post was too old: how would you wear the shift dress, of the polka dot HM skirt for work? i love how cute they are, but hesitant as i am afraid the polka dots are a bit too childish.. do you have any styling tips? DO you intend to wear them for work?

thanks, A

• The Little Dust Princess August 11, 2011 at 12:11 am

omg it was raining like crazy here the other day. POURING. Even an umbrella couldn't shield you from the rain. Luckily, I was about to enter the movie theatre and it was bright & sunny after the movie was done. πŸ˜› You look adorable in casual wear.

• faye lu August 11, 2011 at 12:11 am

Aww that's so cute, you're like petite soul sisters =) great pics too

• Urban Jungle Fashion August 11, 2011 at 12:49 am

I always love non fashion post because it makes me feel like i'm getting to know the blogger better! Great piece!

• xoladiihoneyxo August 11, 2011 at 12:56 am

Damn… its been awhile since I've been out there. But I don't recall food trucks on the Sundays o.O

• x0marisa August 11, 2011 at 12:58 am

omg! sounds so delicious! i'm super duper jealous! there is a truck called "fusion on the run" here in seattle. it was pretty darn good. but banh mi's?! i sure want to try!

• tinymum August 11, 2011 at 1:08 am

Oh that looks so delish! I hope to find food truck in my area, I don't think I've ever seen one! Making me hungry now!

What a coincidental meet up! ^^ I hope to meet you someday too! : )

• LaLaaLove August 11, 2011 at 1:18 am

… I saw the first photo, and everyone else around you looks so tall with their umbrellas.

"Is that her?" I wondered. "That can't be her. So short!" And then I scrolled down.

"OH MY GOD, IT'S HER!O__O"

Sorry; it's just a little shocking to see height differences sometimes. I'm 4ft11 and I'm always surprised by it, even amongst my roommates.

How cool that she's a fan though! Some of my non-gamer friends also don't understand the online community thing – I've hung out with lots of friends from Maple Story. πŸ™‚

• Sunshine August 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

LA has so many food trucks I don't even know where to begin! A couple of my fav are Kogi (korean tacos) and lobsta truck (lobster rolls). If you like bank mi, OC would be banh mi heaven for you and Nick! Maybe one of these days I'll have a chance to take you to sample some πŸ˜›

• DSK Steph August 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

Bon Me is so creative! I like how it sounds out "Banh Mi," but the spelling looks more fancy because of the word "Bon." lol

I could live off just eating Viet subs!

• alison*elle August 11, 2011 at 2:11 am

We recently got food trucks here in Vancouver after some by-law changes and I love that they are basically everywhere now. A lot of them serve fusion food (usually Asian-style)… my faves are these Korean tacos which are the same as regular tacos but with bulgogi. SO GOOD!

• ShortBlonde August 11, 2011 at 7:27 am

How funny it must be to randomly meet another member of the petite blogging community in a big city! And yes…sometimes we forget how tiny we are until we see ourselves in photos next to others. I'm so used to having to look up while talking to people that I usually don't think twice about my height (unless I'm shopping, of course!).

P.S.- I'd love any and all posts about Boston, I'm moving there in a year! I'll be sure to check out this SOWA festival next time I'm there for a weekend.

• couturecoco August 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

You are all so lucky! Wish we had this concept in England! Vietnamese food, fusion or otherwise is always super expensive here (like everything!).

Looks beyond delicious. Does she do Vietnamese spring rolls too – what I wouldn't do for those!!!

• Elle August 11, 2011 at 9:55 am

I read this post last night so I thought I would be immune to the deliciousness this morning…but no, now I am craving lunch (sucky part is no good vietnamese food in the area).

And you are sooo tiny compared to the other girls waiting in line for lunch…irl you are actually pretty tall. Maybe they are just really tall. or maybe it's the strategic placement of their umbrellas…

• bettyC16 August 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

I live in NYC, so there are PLENTY of food trucks! My all time fave is kimchi taco…mmm…so gooddddd =) it's korean bbq served on soft taco shells.

• Nelah August 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

The good all look so delish and delightful. Good question, I don't know there are food trucks community here or not. It is a big city, I have to look into it. You are like a celebrity πŸ™‚

• LitLaur August 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

Atlanta's food truck scene is growing slowly but surely. I've only been to a few, due to working north of the city, but my favorite is actually a cart, King of Pops. They make delicious popsicles in flavors like coconut lemongrass and blackberry mojito.

• R.L. August 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

I love how the first post highlights how petite you are. Your food pics have me drooling. Unfortunately the only food trucks in my area are Mexican food, but they make for great late night snacks lol. That moss tee has proven to be really versatile. I can't wait to see pics of you in your new trench!

• a rose August 11, 2011 at 11:48 am

It's so fun to meet an unexpected fan, isn't it? Fall is coming, I am sure you will be able to wear your new trench soon (especially with Boston weather).

• Holly August 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

omg you look so tiny in that first photo! it's funny because most of your photos are of you by yourself, or with other petite bloggers, so there's no frame of reference.

the food looks delish! i love food trucks but doesn't it always seem like it takes a bit more effort to eat at them? (rain, LONG lines, crowded parking lots, etc.)

people think i'm WEIRD when i tell them my friends and i have a blog! and they think i'm even weirder when i tell them that i post pictures of things i buy and wear. i can see why, but it just doesn't seem as strange when there are so many people out there doing the same! it's nice to have a "community" to share the things you love with. =)