*Giveaway is now over and prize has been claimed. Thank you for entering!*
A while ago a friend told me about Rent the Runway (RTR), but my mundane life hasn't been calling out for fab designer frocks as of late. Although I haven't personally tried out this NYC-based service, I still wanted to share because it's a nifty idea....plus, they are sponsoring an awesome giveaway for you guys!
How it works: Rent designer dresses and jewelry at a fraction of their retail price. Schedule the item you want online, receive it in the mail, and send it back when your rental period is over (standard is 4 days).
Images below via Renttherunway:
1. Milly ($75 to rent,
$695 retail) 2. Herve Leger ($150 to rent, $1590 retail) 3. Tibi ($75 to rent, $495 retail)
RTR will send you a second size free of charge (although for extra petite ladies, this doesn't really matter since the smallest size available is usually needed). The cost per wear is pretty high, but for extra special events I think it is worth it. For the last wedding I attended, I spent $125 for a dress at snooze-able Banana Republic and wore it for 4 hours.
Some more info I noted while exploring the site:
- Shipping costs listed at checkout include postage for both ways
- For an extra $25, you can choose a second dress to try on ($25 applies for the lower priced item)
- There are online "fit specialists" available for chat so maybe you can get measurements
- You can filter dresses by size & body type (ie. petite) and read user reviews on sizing
- Mandatory $5 insurance fee per dress covers certain damage and stains
- As an FYI, there is tax on rentals
I was thrilled that RTR agreed to sponsor a giveaway for my readers. One of you will win a $100 gift card to this site which should be enough to cover the rental of a nice dress, tax, and shipping.